The Subclass 189 Skilled Independent visa is a points-tested permanent visa for skilled workers who want to work and live in Australia. You do not have to be sponsored by an employer, a state/territory or family member.
Who can apply for 189 visa and what are the requirements?
- Have an occupation that is on the relevant list of eligible skilled occupations
- Lodge an Expression of Interest (EOI) and be invited to apply
- Meet the 65 points pass mark in the Skilled Migration points test
- Be aged under 45 to be invited
- Have a suitable skills assessment
- Have at least competent English
- Meet health and character requirements
What is an Expression of Interest (EOI)?
An EOI is a method of showing your interest in applying for a skilled visa to migrate to Australia. The EOI is used to calculate your ability to meet the points test for certain visas.
What is the Subclass 189 visa processing time?
The current processing time is between 5 to 7 months.